Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Early News from Hot Springs

AT for CZC has officially made it to Hot Springs, North Carolina! Earlier this evening, I received a brief email from Matt. His message read as follows:

"Mike, we made it through the Smokies! After seeing some pretty extreme weather, hail, lightning and lots of rain, we made it out and are actually in Hot Springs right now. We are still traveling with Gunny, Wooly, Low Profile, Crazy Beard and Too Tall. Other friends we have met on the Trail include Traveler and Soleman.

I'm planning to hitch a ride in to Asheville tonight and try to pick up a drum. James' father will be joining us on the Trail for the next 50 miles starting in the AM. Life has been great. The hiking has been amazing... I've come up with my Trail name for the time being. Put me down as Ewok and James as Jay-Bird or Jamison.

We are picking up the pace these days and doing 15 miles a day. We have found the land of plenty/cornocopia as hikers have been dropping out, picking up food and feasting well on burritos every meal... I've been living off mashed potato burritos for some time now.

Special thanks to Standing Bear Farm Hostel for putting us up for a few nights, getting some horseshoes in and resting the bones. Thank you Curtis and Maria!"

I'm hoping that I'll be able to speak with him before they hit the Trail. Best of luck to Gil Fuqua as he embarks on this leg of the journey and I look forward to reporting more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment